Thursday, December 10, 2015

Lately:

In August I underwent a shoulder stabilization surgery. In the following months I experienced the biggest changes in myself since I finished high school and moved away from home. The initial two months after my surgery didn't go as planned. I was slapped in the face with reality; beyond using my body I didn't have much going for me. I became angry from confusion and wouldn't leave the house for days at a time. One night I found myself in a club with a sling on, which in retrospect is a total loser move. I was the most depressed I'd ever been.

I managed to get a job a two months later once my sling was off. I put out 25 in person applications and eventually scored a bartending gig. I was starting to train for the season and physio was going extremely well, but I would indulge in the occasional night out and totally fuck up my routine. I justified drinking by thinking that it was my only way to meet girls. The allure was omnipresent though but even if I partied once a month it would compromise the entire next week of training. 

So two months later,  I was a lot physically stronger (and now a competent bartender) but not entirely satisfied. I was moving to Whistler soon and my confidence regarding my ski career and my shoulder just wasn't there, so I made a big change. I quit smoking pot. It was time to see how could go without it, as I had smoked regularly for the last four years. I also quit drinking, which is something I had always wanted to try. I've always been the victim of nasty hangovers. It's going to be hard but the longer I endure this clean lifestyle the better I feel. I don't want to look back when I'm 40 and wonder if I could have done better. 

Now that I've quit pot I can more honest on this blog. Weed was a large part of my life and I wasn't comfortable talking about it, thus there is now one less barrier. Skiing is a sport in which there is rampant pot use amongst athletes but due to the corporate nature of sponsors it is concealed, yet there are sports such as skateboarding that don't hide the lifestyles of their athletes. If you're a talented skateboarder you can do what you want, and that's the way it should be. This way, people from all walks of life can become successful athletes. With these freedoms the more impressionable (myself included) can get the wrong idea, and certainly weed doesn't work for everyone.

I've always to write in this blog much more candidly and this is the first step. I'm going to swear too, no one can stop me.

So all said, I'm stoked at the moment. Expect more frequent posts starting now and skiing content in early January. Bails edit coming soon, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers