Thursday, December 17, 2015

Lately: Gym Power

It's not very hardcore, but I haven't been completely demoralized by missing the couple storms that hit the PNW lately. I can that feel my body isn't ready every time that I'm tempted, then I am grounded and switch to thinking about training to become ready. I take the pressure I put on myself to do scary stuff of skis and create pressure to reduce injury; it's a good place to be.

My medicine comes at the gym. I've spent a lot of time there the last few months. Lifting weights, jumping around, and riding stationary bikes. Sometimes I just juggle a soccer ball because it feels so good just to move randomly. The thing is, no matter the dedication I put into big lifts and jumps, the movements that will save my shoulder are small and precise. It's hard to tell what goes on in there and it takes as much focus as my biggest lifts.

I'm getting close now, maybe just weeks away before my shoulder is strong enough that I can go 100% on skis.


Gym work from Jacob Boyd on Vimeo.

This is an example of what I've been working on. A balance drill in which there is some risk of falling, but I still get to test some challenging balance skills. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers