Friday, February 6, 2015

A typical day

A while ago I thought of the idea of doing a POV day in the life video. It's the POV part I have a problem with. Putting an ugly go pro mount on my helmet deters me from making the commitment. I also carry some odd grudge against POV edits, maybe because I want to be filmed so bad. Regardless, that edit is something I'll be trying eventually this season.

Instead, why not write about a day in the life? especially when I've taken the photographs already. Our day in the life starts at 9 AM Wednesday February 4th. It then starts again at 10 AM because I wanted to sleep more. Tired from closing the bar at 1 AM the night before, I cook my typical breakfast while tuning in and out  of Bill Burrs Monday Morning Podcast. I'm a sucker for routine, and as a result my daily breakfast varies little: 2 strips of bacon, 2 eggs, a big handful of spinach, ever-changing salsas, and two slices of whole wheat make a healthy and satisfying sandwich. I wash it down with a glass of OJ and some french press coffee and I'm ready to go.... to the washroom. Then that I take my skis and walk to the truck.

I could tell it was going to be a good day. 
If there's any fresh snow I usually get a little sideways on the drive to the hill for fun. My plan for the day was to rock solo and explore the alpine stashes. It hadn't snowed in a few days but the mountain was empty, not a bad thing when you're alone. Crowds make me angry for no reason, but when I'm with a crew the time I'm wasting waiting isn't as noticeable. Highlights of the ski day include a classic washout bail trying to straight line the tight entrance to Cirque, redemption the next run, a few fresh lines, and a chicken chickpea rice bowl.

                      If you look closely you'll see the the lines. If you don't want to look closely they are the two obvious ones.                   
Where was everybody? I was the first into any of the lines off of little Whistler. I knew I was taking a risk, not just with the chance of popping an avalanche but also the mandatory air in. I think I just answered my own question.
I've been finishing up with a cold (don't know why I procrastinated) so there's not much to write about from that night.  The evening consisted of a stretching session and some pasta that I feel guilty about because it sucked.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers